    SubjectRe: Recent wireless breakage (ipw2200, iwconfig, NetworkManager)
    On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:55:30PM -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 10:58:13AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Ok, how about the following patch. Is it acceptable to everyone?
    > >
    > > - If you are using a distro that was released in 2006 or later,
    > > - it should be safe to say N here.
    > > + If you are using an OpenSuSE, Gentoo, Ubuntu, or Fedora
    > > + release from 2007 or later, it should be safe to say N here.
    > > +
    > > + If you are using Debian or other distros that are slow to
    > > + update HAL, please say Y here.
    >
    > What HAL version do you think Debian ought to have, pray tell? And
    > what the hell version do those other distros have?
    >
    > The last HAL release was 0.5.8 on 11-Sep-2006. It showed up in
    > Debian/unstable on 2-Oct. There have been six Debian bugfix releases,
    > the most recent on 12-Feb.
    >
    > http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/dist/
    > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/h/hal/hal_0.5.8.1-6.1/changelog

    Ok, I only named HAL as that is what people have told me the problem is.
    I have been running this change on my boxs, without
    CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED since last July or so.

    But I don't use NetworkManager here for the most part, but I have tried
    this in the OpenSuse10.3 alpha releases and it seems to work just fine
    with whatever version of NetworkManager it uses.

    So perhaps it's some wrapper scripts somewhere? I think SuSE had some
    odd things hard coded somewhere that prevented 10.1 from working
    properly with this change.

    Ok, so I'll drop the HAL wording above, what should I say instead?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2007-03-05 23:45    [W:3.491 / U:0.456 seconds]