    SubjectRe: [patch] disable NMI watchdog by default

    * Andi Kleen <> wrote:

    > > There are multiple machines not booting because of nmi_watchdog.
    > > Some of them are documented here:
    > >

    > > We used to think this was the "nolapic" bug,
    > > but it is actually the "nmi_watchdog=0" bug.
    > I thought that one was worked around by Ingo's patch to not do nmi
    > watchdog during ACPI methods, wasn't it?

    unfortunately that only made the lockups on my laptop rarer, it didnt
    totally solve it. My workaround was only done for init acpi methods
    (bootup) - it was getting really ugly when i tried to extend it to all
    ACPI execution. I'd guess the situation on those other systems is

    Maybe we could take only the 32-bit side of my patch, because that's
    what is most affected by legacies. Although i suspect Windows still
    doesnt inject NMIs in 64-bit mode either, so i dont think there's any
    fundamental difference in terms of breakage in the future, it's just
    that 64-bit systems and 64-bit testing is 1:5 - 1:10 rarer than 32-bit

    dunno. A distro can still patch the NMI watchdog on, easily. If you
    think it's a better approach i can make this a .config option - just
    default to off?

      Last update: 2007-03-05 21:31    [W:0.021 / U:36.060 seconds]