SubjectRe: [patch] Fixes and cleanups for earlyprintk aka boot console.
Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Gerd Hoffmann writes:
>
>> This patch fixes the console selection code to *not* consider a boot
>> console a full-featured one, so the first non-boot console registering
>> will become the default console instead. This way the unregister call
>> for the boot console in the register_console() function actually
>> triggers and the handover from the boot console to the real console
>> device works smoothly. Added a printk for the handover, so you know
>> which console device the output goes to when the boot console stops
>> printing messages.
>
> You have removed functionality that is useful for debugging, that 3
> architectures had, namely a way to keep using the early boot console
> and not replace it with a console that comes later, using a kernel
> command line option. Perhaps you could provide a way to do that in
> your patch.

--verbose please. I don't think I broke that.

I've seen code for that in i386/x86_64 and one of the other archs (via
earlyprintk=foo,keep). The code clears now the CON_BOOT flag in case
keep is present, which has the wanted effect: The earlyprintk console
will not be replaced.

cheers,
Gerd

--