    SubjectRe: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()
    On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:15:33AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
    > Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > Given that glibc already has to support this for older kernels, I
    > > would argue that there's no point putting in generic support for
    > > filesystem that can't support a more advanced way of doing things.
    > Well, I'm sure the kernel can do better than the code we have in libc
    > now. The kernel has access to the bitmasks which say which blocks have
    > already been allocated.

    The layer of the kernel where a totally generic fallback would be
    implemented does not have access to this information. We could do
    a mostly generic helper for block filesystems that allows to implement
    fallocate this way without a lot of their own code.

      Last update: 2007-03-05 16:39    [W:0.019 / U:2.648 seconds]