SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] RSDL completely fair starvation free interactive cpu scheduler
On Sunday 04 March 2007, Con Kolivas wrote:
>On Monday 05 March 2007 00:25, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Yes, sorry. This is mutually exclusive with the -ck1 patch. It is a
>> > standalone piece of code.
>>
>> I just this instant got it booted, what with building a driver for
>> nvidia and all. I'll let you know what I think in a few hours after
>> I've gotten a feel for it.
>
>Great, thanks.
>
>Just to make it clear. The purpose of this scheduler is at all costs to
>maintain absolute fairness no matter what type of load it is put under.
> This means that if you heavily load up your machine without the use of
> 'nice' then your interactive tasks _will_ slow down proportionately to
> the amount of cpu you use. So doing make -j4 for example will make any
> other task started in taht presence run precisely 1/5th speed, but they
> will still be responsive, have low latency (and audio shouldn't skip
> for example).
>
>There will be times when the mainline scheduler feels more interactive
> than this scheduler, and that is because it has significant unfairness
> granted towards interactive tasks. This degree of unfairness in an
> effort to maintain interactivity has been criticised and causes
> problems in certain environments with both loss of fairness, relative
> starvation and is not entirely predictable.

Well, in 20 minutes of playing, I am so far VERY impressed, the kmail
composer is typing to the screen in unison to my keystrokes, where with
the older version it often went away for 10 or more seconds at a time,
then displayed the last sentence I had typed in one (or 2 sometimes)
swell foop. Now I can back up and correct a typo in real time whereas
before, it was often faster if the typo was half a line back, and the key
repeat so darned slow it was often over a second per character cell
moved, to go grab the mouse, position the cursor on the typo, click, wait
for the indicator to move, and then fix it. Typing is now pleasurable
again. Key repeats seem to remain at the set in the bios key repeat
speed. Amazing. I do believe you have given me back my machine.

I may find something to squawk about in due time, I think that Murphy guys
laws may have a corollary on that subject, but it sure feels good right
now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)