SubjectRe: broken device locking, sg vs. sg_io on block devices
> > > The use of /dev/sg* is still common practice, its invention predates
> >
> > The /dev/sg interface cannot do the locking. If you use /dev/sg you are
>
> Again, it doesn't have to. It can pass the locking operations to the
> related block device driver.

No it can't. The driver has no idea what the locking rules are for
arbitary command blocks send to arbitary devices. /dev/sg is a *raw*
interface. You can send anything to anyone, and the locking rules for
that are far too complex for a giant morass of kernel code to get added.

The mess begins because you use /dev/sg and put it in a cdrom group
instead of using SG_IO on the /dev/sr device. The mess continues because
of the user of O_EXCL locking thus forcing re-open/close by HAL instead
of fcntl based co-operative locking.

The job of the kernel is not and never has been to anticipate and correct
everything stupid someone tries to do in user space.

As I said before the people wanting to arbitrate serial ports got this
right in the mid 1970's your situation is not much more complicated,
unless you persist in using /dev/sg - which yes does make it hard, but so
does writing it in COBOL, or while standing on your head. And the
solution to all three cases is the same *DONT DO IT*

Alan

  Last update: 2007-04-01 01:13    [W:0.267 / U:1.496 seconds]