    SubjectRe: [RFD driver-core] Lifetime problems of the current driver model
    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:19:52 +0900,
    Tejun Heo <> wrote:

    > > Shouldn't getting/putting the module refcount be solely done in
    > > kobject.c? Grab the module reference when the kobject is created and
    > > release the module reference in kobject_cleanup() after the release
    > > function has been called. This doesn't make kobject_get() heavier, and
    > > it ensures we don't delete the module until after the last kobject it is
    > > supposed to clean up has been released.
    > If we do that, we wouldn't be able to unload a module if there is any
    > kobject referencing it even when the node has no openers, so no easy way
    > out there. :-(

    But we must not unload the module when there is still a kobject around
    referencing a release function in the module, or we will oops if the
    kobject is finally released. If needed, the module must clean up its
    kobjects in its exit function.

      Last update: 2007-03-30 15:43    [W:0.021 / U:1.232 seconds]