SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Li Yu wrote:

> The last word is a question, what's the future of hiddev? It will merge
> into hidraw later? I think so, but can't sure.

Hi Li,

no, it won't, it doesn't provide compatible interface for purpose.

hiddev has currently the following drawbacks:

- USB-transport specific

- uses in-kernel HID parser to parse reports and fill in usages and
values. This is usually not what authors of the userspace drivers for
HID devices want - the devices often have quirks or behave in a strange
way, and making workarounds is more complicated when kernel parser
operates on the received reports

- only a few applications use it (acupsd, nut, hid2hcianything else?). All
other drivers rather use libhid, which is built on top of libusb, in
order to be able to receive and send really raw HID reports, and parse
them on their own. This is however also USB-transport specific

The purpose of hidraw is to provide the applications the same
functionality they are having when using libhid/libusb, but in a
transport-independent way, as it is hooked to generic HID layer, which
works as a 'proxy' for different transports that use it.

--
Jiri Kosina