SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove the broken PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE option
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:50:06 -0700,
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> > Greg, what about driver-core-per-subsystem-multithreaded-probing.patch?
> > PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE shoudn't be broken with that, only in mainline?
>
> Do you want to enable PCI multithreaded probing using your patch? I
> don't think the world is ready for pci multithreaded probing as was
> determined by the zillion of bug reports from people who like to enable
> config options that state in big letters, "THIS WILL BREAK YOUR BOX"...

But IIRC, that was without my patch? Wouldn't per-subsystem
multithreaded probing just expose bugs that could also be exposed on
SMP systems?

> And I'm still questioning if we should add your patch at all, as I don't
> think any other subsystems need it. Do you?

The css/ccw busses may profit from it, since we tend to have thousands
of devices there. OTOH, we've already tried to make probing as
asynchronous as possible, so maybe there isn't that much gain. I'd need
to do some measurements (when I find some time...)

  Last update: 2007-03-28 10:37    [W:0.064 / U:0.652 seconds]