SubjectRe: [patch 3/4] Locally disable the softlockup watchdog rather than touching it

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Prarit Bhargava wrote:
>
>> I don't like the idea of having touch_softlockup_watchdog exported
>> with your new code -- we still have two methods of effecting the
>> softlockup watchdog and that's confusing and its going to cause
>> serious problems down the road.
>>

> It's legacy. There are a few places where it wasn't obvious to me how
> to replace the touch_softlockup_watchdog, so I left them for now. But
> ideally I think they should all go away.
>

>> Is there a reason that you're pushing the enable/disable? All the
>> cases called out seem to be just fine with calls to either effect that
>> CPU's softlockup watchdog or doing all CPU's softlockup watchdogs.
>>

> Doing all CPUs is meaningless to me. How does that make sense? It

You don't have to do them all -- you could do one with (as in my
previous patch -- which I'm not married to BTW ;) )

touch_cpu_softlockup_watchdog()

and all with

touch_softlockup_watchdog()

> Zach has reported seeing spurious softlockup messages on idle machines
> running under a hypervisor. And there was also the discussion about how
> to deal with a flash update system in which all CPUs are taken over by
> the bios for a long period of time, which was causing softlockup to
> trigger. It seemed to me that these could all be dealt with in much the
> same way, and that disable/enable semantics for dealing with
> long-running timer holdoffs is more natural than trying to work out how
> to periodically touch the watchdog timer.

But wouldn't a call to touch_[cpu_]softlockup_watchdog at the end of the
flash update fix the problem? And ditto for all other areas of the
kernel where we know we're holding off scheduling?

P.

  Last update: 2007-03-28 16:55    [W:2.342 / U:0.060 seconds]