    SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc4-mm1
    Cornelia Huck wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:55:51 -0500,
    > Larry Finger <larry.finger@lwfinger.net> wrote:
    >> I applied the debug patch, but I don't see any error codes being returned. This time I also got the
    >> General Protection Faults. An excerpt of the log is attached.
    >
    > Hm, I think I have an idea about what happened.
    >
    > The firmware class tried to suppress the first KOBJ_ADD uevent by
    > returning -ENODEV in firmware_uevent if FW_STATUS_READY was not set.
    > This only worked as long as the return code of kobject_uevent was not
    > checked in device_add. hack-to-make-wireless-work.patch made that first
    > uevent return successfully, but this possible triggered some udev rule
    > too early, leading to firmware load failures.
    >
    > The following (completely untested) patch uses uevent_suppress to stop
    > the uevent from being generated during device_add. Does this work for
    > you?

    Yes it does. Good job. On my first reboot with the new code, the startup of X hung with the black
    screen and the big X cursor, but that seems to have been a single occurrence. With the patch, the
    bcm43xx firmware is loaded and the device is working.

    Thanks,

    Larry

      Last update: 2007-03-23 17:23    [W:2.503 / U:0.000 seconds]