SubjectRe: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Rik van Riel wrote:

> I would like to see separate pageout selection queues
> for anonymous/tmpfs and page cache backed pages. That
> way we can simply scan only that what we want to scan.
>
> There are several ways available to balance pressure
> between both sets of lists.
>
> Splitting them out will also make it possible to do
> proper use-once replacement for the page cache pages.
> Ie. leaving the really active page cache pages on the
> page cache active list, instead of deactivating them
> because they're lower priority than anonymous pages.

Well I would expect this to have marginal improvements and delay the
inevitable for awhile until we have even bigger memory. If the app uses
mmapped data areas then the problem is still there. And such tinkering
does not solve the issue of large scale I/O requiring the handling of
gazillions of page structs. I do not think that there is a way around
somehow handling larger chunks of memory in an easier way. We already do
handle larger page sizes for some limited purposes and with huge pages we
already have a larger page size. Mel's defrag/anti-frag patches are
necessary to allow us to deal with the resulting fragmentation problems.

  Last update: 2007-03-02 20:33    [W:0.123 / U:0.332 seconds]