    SubjectRe: RSDL v0.31
    Mark Hahn wrote:

    >>So in an attempt to summarise the situation, what are the advantages of RSDL
    >>over mainline.
    >>
    >>Fairness
    >>

    >why do you think fairness is good, especially always good?
    >

    >>Starvation free
    >>

    >even starvation is sometimes a good thing - there's a place for processes
    >that only use the CPU if it is otherwise idle. that is, they are
    >deliberately starved all the rest of the time.
    >

    >>Much lower and bound latencies
    >>

    >in an average sense? also, under what circumstances does this actually
    >matter? (please don't offer something like RT audio on an overloaded machine-
    >that's operator error, not something to design for.)
    >

    >>Deterministic
    >>

    >not a bad thing, but how does this make itself apparent and of value
    >to the user? I think everyone is extremely comfortable with non-determinism
    >(stemming from networks, caches, interleaved workloads, etc)
    >

    >>Better interactivity for the majority of cases.
    >>

    >how is this measured? is this statement really just a reiteration of
    >the latency claim?
    >

    >>Now concentrating on the very last aspect since that seems to be the sticking
    >>point.
    >>

    >nah, I think the fairness and latency claims are the real issues.
    >-

    I guess I wonder what is wrong with the current scheduler? I am running
    2.6.20.2 on a whitebook
    laptop with a core 2 duo 1.86ghz 2gb of mem with an intel 945 shared
    memory graphics processor.
    I am currently running X with beryl have vncserver connected to my main
    system, which I am
    using to write this email, I am running also firefox and both of ingo
    test programs. I also am running
    a make -j4 on a kernel rebuild without having any pauses or any problem
    doing anything interactively.

    So again what does this new scheduler fix?

    Steve

    --

    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
    deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

    decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

      Last update: 2007-03-17 18:25    [W:3.664 / U:0.064 seconds]