    SubjectRe: [BUG 2.6.21-rc3-git9] SATA NCQ failure with Samsum HD401LJ
    (linux-ide cc'ed)

    Max Kellermann wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have been trying to upgrade my 2.6.19 kernel for a while now,
    > without success. All kernel versions since 2.6.20 failed with a
    > timeout while trying to write to my SATA hard disk. After I wait for
    > a while (during which all I/O to the hard disk blocks), the kernel
    > message "NCQ disabled due to excessive errors" appears, and the system
    > seems to work perfectly.
    > My system is an Athlon64 X2 on an Asus A8N-Premium. I'm using the
    > sata_nv driver for the on-board SATA controller. My only hard disk is
    > a Samsum HD401LJ (400 GB).
    > The kernel is build statically, and the only module is nvidia.ko. If
    > someone believes it may make a difference, I can try the kernel
    > without the proprietary module.
    > Please see the kernel config and dmesg attached to this email.
    > I don't know the libata subsystem well, but I suspect my hard drive
    > has to be added to the NCQ blacklist.
    > Max

    This does indeed look like a drive side issue to me (the controller is
    reporting CPBs with response flags 2 which as far as I can tell
    indicates it's still waiting for the drive to complete the request).

    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from
    Home Page:

      Last update: 2007-03-16 14:59    [W:0.023 / U:73.836 seconds]