SubjectRe: RSDL v0.30 cpu scheduler for mainline kernels
Date
On Friday 16 March 2007 05:58, Ray Lee wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Siddha, Suresh B <suresh.b.siddha@intel.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks. If it's just that then scaling rr interval with cpus somewhat
> > > would help. If you could, the following patch just to test might
> > > confirm that. -#define RR_INTERVAL ((6 * HZ / 1001) + 1)
> > > +#define RR_INTERVAL ((12 * HZ / 1001) + 1)
> >
> > Context switches now are ~370 per second. Still much above the regular
> > ~70 we see in the mainline.
> >
> > why do you say the rr_interval needs to be scaled with cpus? The basic
> > point in RSDL is, if we have more than one same priority task on a single
> > logic cpu, context switch happens every RR_INTERVAL (6 or 12 msec)
> > whereas in mainline it happens every 100 msec.

No. That's what we do with mainline too. The analogue of the RR_INTERVAL in
mainline is the timeslice granularity. When I wrote it (TG) I assumed that
any increase in latency by lengthening this value would be offset by more
cpus being available which is only partially true. I also did not assume at
the time that many cpus would be used on a desktop which is now, wrong.

--
-ck