SubjectRe: considering kevent - the kernel development process
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> It's not obvious, but utter bullshit. Please go away if you think
> starting post with quotes from CGL specs is even remotely close to
> a good idea.

I don't know about CGL, but a unified async notification mechanism _is_
needed. In ~2002, I needed one, and what I ended up with was a Red Hat
2.4 kernel with IO_CMD_POLL hacked in. Five years later, mainline still
can't do that.

Whether it's syslets, threadlets, io_getevents with networking support,
kevents, epoll with kaio support, queued signals, or something else,
users don't care, but they need _something_. Please don't ignore the
users just because they quote the wrong text. The need is very real.