SubjectRe: [QUICKLIST 0/4] Arch independent quicklists V2
Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>If you want a zeroed page for pagecache and someone has just stuffed a
>>>known-zero, cache-hot page into the pagetable quicklists, you have good
>>>reason to be upset.
>>
>>The thing is, pagetable pages are the one really good exception to the
>>rule that we should keep cache hot and initialise-on-demand. They
>>typically are fairly sparsely populated and sparsely accessed. Even
>>for last level page tables, I think it is reasonable to assume they will
>>usually be pretty cold.
>

> eh? I'd have thought that a pte page which has just gone through
> zap_pte_range() will very often have a _lot_ of hot cachelines, and
> that's a common case.
>
> Still. It's pretty easy to test.

Well I guess that would be the case if you had just unmapped a 4MB
chunk that was pretty dense with pages.

My malloc seems to allocate and free in blocks of 128K, so that's
only going to give us 3% of the last level pte being cache hot when
it gets freed. Not sure what common mmap(file) access patterns
look like.

The majority of programs I run have a smattering of llpt pages
pretty sparsely populated, covering text, libraries, heap, stack,
vdso.

We don't actually have to zap_pte_range the entire page table in
order to free it (IIRC we used to have to, before the 4lpt patches).

But yeah let's see some tests. I would definitely want to avoid this
extra layer of complexity if it is just as good to return the pages
to the pcp lists.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.