SubjectRe: [2/6] 2.6.21-rc2: known regressions

* Stefan Seyfried <seife@suse.de> wrote:

> > btw., the s2ram database seems quite a bit spotty:
> >
> > $ ./s2ram -n
> > Machine is unknown.
> > This machine can be identified by:
> > sys_vendor = "System manufacturer"
> > sys_product = "System Product Name"
> > sys_version = "System Version"
> > bios_version = "ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1008"
> >
> > $ ./s2ram -n
> > Machine is unknown.
> > This machine can be identified by:
> > sys_vendor = "Hewlett-Packard "
> > sys_product = "compaq nx9030 (PG630ET#ABD) "
> > sys_version = "Rev 1 "
> > bios_version = "F.15 "
> > See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
> >
> > even at the link above i didnt find any clear algorithm about how to
> > extend the quirks-list and the white-list - while i expect that most
> > people experience what i did: that s2ram doesnt know their boxes.
> > (otherwise they would not visit that URL at all i suspect)
>
> Ok. To be honest, you are the first reporter that seems to have read
> the documentation above, but not understood what to do.

thanks for the compliment ;-) _I_ very much know what to do (i mailed
the right person after all ;), but i dont really count and on the 6
systems i tried s2ram said on 5 that it's 'unknown', i assumed it could
possibly be due to the visible lack of clear instructions on that
webpage ;-)

> i might consider reworking the documentation if there are more reports
> about problems with the procedure.

Probably tweaking the webpage doesnt help because people dont get there
- as the results plainly show it. Maybe some more automation would be
useful too, a tool that detects failed resume and tries all those
options that makes sense on that box or something? It's not like that
people dont _try_ suspend/resume on Linux, it's just that they find it
doesnt work and there is no clear mortal-usable (end-user-) way of
fixing it and submitting the result of that fixing.

Ingo

  Last update: 2007-03-10 16:23    [W:0.169 / U:0.080 seconds]