    SubjectRe: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >> So some urgent questions are: how are we going to do mem hotunplug and
    >> per-container RSS?
    >
    > Also: how are we going to do this in virtualized environments? Usually the
    > people who care abotu memory hotunplug are exactly the same people who
    > also care (or claim to care, or _will_ care) about virtualization.
    >
    > My personal opinion is that while I'm not a huge fan of virtualization,
    > these kinds of things really _can_ be handled more cleanly at that layer,
    > and not in the kernel at all. Afaik, it's what IBM already does, and has
    > been doing for a while. There's no shame in looking at what already works,
    > especially if it's simpler.

    Could you please clarify as to what "that layer" means - is it the
    firmware/hardware for virtualization? or does it refer to user space?
    With virtualization the linux kernel would end up acting as a hypervisor
    and resource management support like per-container RSS support needs to
    be built into the kernel.

    It would also be useful to have a resource controller like per-container
    RSS control (container refers to a task grouping) within the kernel or
    non-virtualized environments as well.

    --
    Warm Regards,
    Balbir Singh