    SubjectRe: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()
    On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:04:45 +0530
    "Amit K. Arora" <aarora@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

    > This is to give a heads up on few patches that we will be soon coming up
    > with. These patches implement a new system call sys_fallocate() and a
    > new inode operation "fallocate", for persistent preallocation. The new
    > system call, as Andrew suggested, will look like:
    >
    > asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len);

    It is intended that glibc use this same syscall for both posix_fallocate()
    and posix_fallocate64().

    I'd agree with Eric on the "command" flag extension.

    That new argument might need to come after "fd" - ARM has funny requirements on
    syscall arg padding and layout.

    > +asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len)
    > +{
    > + struct file *file;
    > + struct inode *inode;
    > + long ret = -EINVAL;
    > + file = fget(fd);
    > + if (!file)
    > + goto out;
    > + inode = file->f_path.dentry->d_inode;
    > + if (inode->i_op && inode->i_op->fallocate)
    > + ret = inode->i_op->fallocate(inode, offset, len);
    > + else
    > + ret = -ENOTTY;
    > + fput(file);
    > +out:
    > + return ret;
    > +}

    Please always put a blank line between the variable definitions and the
    first statement.

    Please always use hard tabs, not bunch-of-spaces. This seems to happening
    rather a lot in the ext4 patches. It's a trivial thing, but also trivial
    to fix. A grep across the diffs is needed.

    ENOTTY is a bit unconventional - we often use EINVAL for this sort of
    thing. But EINVAL has other meanings for posix_fallocate() and isn't
    really appropriate here anyway. So I'm not sure what would be better...

      Last update: 2007-03-01 23:29    [W:0.022 / U:0.092 seconds]