    SubjectRe: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()
    Amit K. Arora wrote:
    > This is to give a heads up on few patches that we will be soon coming up
    > with. These patches implement a new system call sys_fallocate() and a
    > new inode operation "fallocate", for persistent preallocation. The new
    > system call, as Andrew suggested, will look like:
    > asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len);

    One thing I'd like to see is a cmd argument as well, to allow for
    example allocation vs. reservation (i.e. allocating blocks vs. simply
    reserving a number), as well as the inverse of those functions
    (un-reservation, de-allocation)?

    If the allocation interface allows allocation/reservation within
    arbitrary ranges, if the only way to un-allocate is via a truncate,
    that's pretty asymmetric.

      Last update: 2007-03-01 20:19    [W:0.020 / U:2.248 seconds]