SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:54:02AM +0100, Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu) wrote:

> * Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:
>
> > I posted kevent/epoll benchmarks and related design issues too many
> > times both with handmade applications (which might be broken as hell)
> > and popular open-source servers to repeat them again.
>
> numbers are crutial here - and given the epoll bugs in the evserver code
> that we found, do you have updated evserver benchmark results that
> compare epoll to kevent? I'm wondering why epoll has half the speed of
> kevent in those measurements - i suspect some possible benchmarking bug.
> The queueing model of epoll and kevent is roughly comparable, both do
> only a constant number of steps to serve one particular request,
> regardless of how many pending connections/requests there are. What is
> the CPU utilization of the server system during an epoll test, and what
> is the CPU utilization during a kevent test? 100% utilized in both
> cases?

Yes, it is about 98-100% in both cases.
I've just re-run tests on my amd64 test machine without debug options:

epoll 4794.23
kevent 6468.95

here are full client 'ab' outputs for epoll and kevent servers (epoll
does not contain EPOLLET as you requested, but it does not look like
it change performance in my case).

epoll ab aoutput:
# ab -c8000 -n80000 http://192.168.0.48/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.40-dev <$Revision: 1.146 $> apache-2.0
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 192.168.0.48 (be patient)
Completed 8000 requests
Completed 16000 requests
Completed 24000 requests
Completed 32000 requests
Completed 40000 requests
Completed 48000 requests
Completed 56000 requests
Completed 64000 requests
Completed 72000 requests
Finished 80000 requests

Server Software: Apache/1.3.27
Server Hostname: 192.168.0.48
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
Document Length: 3521 bytes

Concurrency Level: 8000
Time taken for tests: 16.686737 seconds
Complete requests: 80000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 309760000 bytes
HTML transferred: 281680000 bytes
Requests per second: 4794.23 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 1668.674 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 0.209 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)
Transfer rate: 18128.17 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 159 779 110.1 799 921
Processing: 468 866 77.4 869 988
Waiting: 63 426 212.3 425 921
Total: 1145 1646 115.6 1660 1873

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 1660
66% 1661
75% 1662
80% 1663
90% 1806
95% 1830
98% 1833
99% 1834
100% 1873 (longest request)

kevent ab output:
[...]

Time taken for tests: 12.366775 seconds
Complete requests: 80000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 317047104 bytes
HTML transferred: 288306522 bytes
Requests per second: 6468.95 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 1236.677 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 0.155 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent
requests)
Transfer rate: 25036.12 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 130 364 871.1 275 9347
Processing: 178 298 42.5 296 580
Waiting: 31 202 65.8 210 369
Total: 411 663 887.0 572 9722

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 572
66% 573
75% 618
80% 640
90% 684
95% 709
98% 721
99% 3455
100% 9722 (longest request)

Notice how percentage of the requests served within a certain time
differs for kevent and epoll. And this server does not include
ready-on-submission kevent optimization.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov