    SubjectRe: NAK new drivers without proper power management?

    On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 20:59 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
    > On 2/9/07, Robert Hancock <> wrote:
    > > I would disagree that it's a peripheral issue, it's pretty core these
    > > days, at least for any hardware that you can stuff in a laptop (though a
    > > fair number of desktops get suspended and resumed these days too).
    > Servers are still the most important Linux market, and don't care
    > about suspend/resume. I would consider implementing suspend./resume
    > for a driver that will only be used in server or HPC class hardware a
    > waste of valuable development resources.

    Not necessarily. Imagine suspending to disk in order to replace a faulty
    card. That could be way faster and less disruptive than shutting down
    normally and loosing caches and so on.

    Irrespective of the above, servers tend not to have too much in the way
    of hardware unique to them anyway, and even if you don't find it useful,
    that's not to say others won't want it.

      Last update: 2007-02-10 03:13    [W:0.021 / U:3.656 seconds]