    SubjectRe: [patch 1/3 take2] smaps: extract pte walker from smaps code
    On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > Clearing reference bits? Ummm... That is a pretty inaccurate measure since
    > reclaim can remove pages and revert the reference bits. It can never work
    > reliably.

    It's not intended to work precisely, it's intended to give a good estimate
    of task memory footprint. There are several different scenarios that can
    interfere with getting a precise measurement via this method; then again
    /proc/pid/smaps is so expensive already because of the iteration through
    VMA's that it's not something you'd do regularly.

    Any other suggestions on how to obtain this data is certainly welcome.

    > Would it be possible to sync up with the people doing the page table
    > interface?

    Is there an update on Paul Davies' implementation that would allow us to
    iterate through a set of pte's in a vm_area_struct range?

    > Could we somehow consolidate smaps and numa_maps?

    Sure, but that's beyond the scope of this patchset. My intention in
    extracting away a new pte_walker was to prevent having two identical
    implementations and it could easily be extracted even further to lib for
    the ioremap case that Paul mentioned.

      Last update: 2007-02-07 10:39    [W:0.020 / U:69.596 seconds]