    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
    On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 16:21 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > >
    > > It isn't that far off, and we could improve it if we wanted to. In
    > > _general_ it's quite good already.
    > I agree that it's close to hierarchical. But it's literally the exceptions
    > that get you.
    > Let me mention (again) USB_STORAGE and ATA.
    > They are not "under" SCSI. Making them do that would be insane.

    But in the graphical tool that's _good_. Because those are the options
    you _wanted_ to see.

    You don't want to go digging around under the SCSI menu where all those
    boring hostadapters are, but you _do_ get to see the USB and ATA stuff

    But that's only for the graphical tool, which is where I actually
    expected the handholding to be required. If you want it in 'oldconfig'
    then I think that's weird, but I don't have a better solution than
    'select', unfortunately.

    > > It would work quite nicely in the graphical tools, although you've
    > > thrown me a little by wanting it in the hacker's tool 'oldconfig' too.
    > > You obviously care more about turning stuff _on_ with 'make oldconfig'
    > > while other people who've spoken up seem to care more, as I do, about
    > > turning stuff _off_ that way. If I want my hand held, I'm happy enough
    > > to use the graphical tools.
    > I tend to just edit the .config file, and run "make oldconfig". And I know
    > I'm not the only one, because I've talked to others who do the same.

    That's exactly what I do too.

    > And yes, then it's almost always correct to "turn things on as needed to
    > make everything work out right", while turning things off would be
    > actively wrong.

    My experience is exactly the opposite; perhaps because I spend so much
    of my time working on the Fedora kernel where almost everything starts
    off enabled by default, and I only ever want to turn stuff off.

    I think 'make oldconfig_noselect' is the way forward. We can both have
    what we want.

      Last update: 2007-02-07 01:41    [W:0.021 / U:6.876 seconds]