    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
    On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 14:53 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I don't think you've ever showed any such example.
    >
    > And if you did, it would all boil down to *exactly* what 'select' does:
    > config options that get set automatically based on other choices.

    That's one option which I don't think I've seen implemented.

    The other possibility which comes to mind, and which I _have_ seen
    implemented, is not to hide the disabled option but to _show_ it, and
    represent its dependencies right there next to it somehow.

    Where I saw this done was actually in the Nemesis kernel configuration,
    which was based on our old tcl xconfig tool. It actually worked quite
    well. It's a _long_ time ago now, but IIRC it was in a cell below the
    disabled option. It'd look something like (remember hte old xconfig?):

    | USB Mass storage support | o Y o M ✓ N |
    | depends on: o SCSI ✓ USB |

    I'm sure I had a screenshot of it once. But it doesn't matter; you get
    the idea -- our current tools would do it differently anyway. But they
    _could_ do it.

    > So care to give a real example? Start with USB automatically selecting
    > SCSI support without the user having to even know it uses SCSI. Tell me
    > how it's supposed to work sanely without 'select'.

    Well one option, as you suggest, is just that if you go into the
    graphical tool and enable USB_STORAGE, you get SCSI turned on
    automatically. That's simple enough and the xconfig tool can do it quite
    easily. It just needs to _show_ you the option, which isn't particularly
    hard. But what I care about is that when you when you explicitly set
    # CONFIG_SCSI is not set
    and run 'make oldconfig' it doesn't get turned back on again.

    But as I said, I'm not entirely averse to having to do 'make
    oldconfig-noselect' or something like that to preserve the old
    behaviour. And then you can sprinkle 'select' wherever you like without
    bothering those of us who object.

    --
    dwmw2