    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
    Date
    On Monday, 5. February 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > So thank God for the few selects we have, and we should add a whole lot
    > more!

    But "select" is not fine grained enough.

    I would like to have "require", "recommend", "suggest" for feature A.

    require X
    does not work without X, but X is way down the tree
    e.g. ext3 and block device or how select currently is intended

    recommend X
    it is usable but uncomfortable without X, enabled per default
    e.g. firewalling recommends connection tracking support
    or NAT recommends all NAT helpers

    suggest X
    many people use A together with X,
    so you might be interested in enabling it, but I disabled it
    per default unless you said "featuritis mode" before.
    e.g. highmem and SMP or a network driver and NAPI.

    That is what the Debian/Ubuntu package management does and maybe other too.
    And this also gives us new keywords to replace select with,
    so migration is doable :-)

    This would also make "EMBEDDED" superflous, because it would just mean
    "disable anything not required".

    And this would enable an individual tree for the users current configuration
    problem instead of a global one.

    Regards

    Ingo "and tomorrow we change the world" Oeser :-)

      Last update: 2007-02-05 22:17    [W:0.022 / U:0.020 seconds]