SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
Date
On Monday, 5. February 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So thank God for the few selects we have, and we should add a whole lot
> more!

But "select" is not fine grained enough.

I would like to have "require", "recommend", "suggest" for feature A.

require X
does not work without X, but X is way down the tree
e.g. ext3 and block device or how select currently is intended

recommend X
it is usable but uncomfortable without X, enabled per default
e.g. firewalling recommends connection tracking support
or NAT recommends all NAT helpers

suggest X
many people use A together with X,
so you might be interested in enabling it, but I disabled it
per default unless you said "featuritis mode" before.
e.g. highmem and SMP or a network driver and NAPI.

That is what the Debian/Ubuntu package management does and maybe other too.
And this also gives us new keywords to replace select with,
so migration is doable :-)

This would also make "EMBEDDED" superflous, because it would just mean
"disable anything not required".

And this would enable an individual tree for the users current configuration
problem instead of a global one.

Regards

Ingo "and tomorrow we change the world" Oeser :-)

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans