SubjectRe: Super Kernel Sunday!
On 2/4/07, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> In a widely anticipated move, Linux "headcase" Torvalds today announced
> the immediate availability of the most advanced Linux kernel to date,
> version 2.6.20.
>
> Before downloading the actual new kernel, most avid kernel hackers have
> been involved in a 2-hour pre-kernel-compilation count-down, with some
> even spending the preceding week doing typing exercises and reciting PI
> to a thousand decimal places.
>
> The half-time entertainment is provided by randomly inserted trivial
> syntax errors that nerds are expected to fix at home before completing
> the compile, but most people actually seem to mostly enjoy watching the
> compile warnings, sponsored by Anheuser-Busch, scroll past.
>
> As ICD head analyst Walter Dickweed put it: "Releasing a new kernel on
> Superbowl Sunday means that the important 'pasty white nerd'
> constituency finally has something to do while the rest of the country
> sits comatose in front of their 65" plasma screens".
>
> Walter was immediately attacked for his racist and insensitive remarks
> by Geeks without Borders representative Marilyn vos Savant, who pointed
> out that not all of their members are either pasty nor white. "Some of
> them even shower!" she added, claiming that the constant stereotyping
> hurts nerds' standing in society.
>
> Geeks outside the US were just confused about the whole issue, and were
> heard wondering what the big hoopla was all about. Some of the more
> culturally aware of them were heard snickering about balls that weren't
> even round.

Ha. And you wouldn't have thought there was someone who

- was born and raised and lives in old europe
- builds and tests 100+ kernels a year
- has already built 2.6.20

[asuardi@sandman ~]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.20 (asuardi@sandman) (gcc version 4.1.1 20070105
(Red Hat 4.1.1-51)) #1 Sun Feb 4 20:41:13 CET 2007

...because...

there's the SUPERBOWL to watch in front of a 32" LCD screen !!

(yes, I took tomorrow off work of course ;)

--alessandro

"but I thought that I should let you know
the things that I don't always show
might not be worth the time it took"

(Steve Wynn, 'If My Life Was An Open Book')

  Last update: 2007-02-04 20:59    [W:0.232 / U:0.780 seconds]