    SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc7: known regressions

    On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Frédéric Riss wrote:

    > New patch:

    I didn't get how this would fix the ia64 issues? I thought ia64 needed
    the standard calling convention?

    My gut feel is that EFI should be handled exactly the same way that we
    used to handle APM: never even make it look like it's callable from C, but
    make architecture-specific wrapper functions that have bog-standard
    calling conventions, and then possibly even use inline asm to actually do
    the real call (but even if you don't, at that point it would be inside one
    particular arch-specific EFI source file - nobody outside of that would
    ever call into the firmware directly).

    As it is, I don't think I dare apply this right now, which means that it
    will miss 2.6.20, and we'll have to backport it to the stable tree when
    everybody agrees and has acked it. I don't like having suspend broken on
    EFI macs, but on the other hand, I would hate to have an ia64 regression
    even more..

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-02-04 18:41    [W:4.636 / U:0.072 seconds]