    SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3
    On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:24:19AM +0100, Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu) wrote:

    > * Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:

    > > > Evgeniy, i'm not sure how many different ways to tell this to you, but
    > > > you are not listening, you are not learning and you are still not
    > > > getting it at all.
    > > >
    > > > The scheduler /IS/ a generic work/event queue. And it's pretty damn
    > > > fast. No amount of badmouthing will change that basic fact. Not exactly
    > > > as fast as a special-purpose queueing system (for all the reasons i
    > > > outlined to you, and which you ignored), but it gets pretty damn close
    > > > even for the web workload /you/ identified, and offers a user-space
    > > > programming model that is about 1000 times more useful than
    > > > state-machines.
    > >
    > > Meanwhile on practiceal side:
    > > via epia kevent/epoll/threadlet:
    > >
    > > client: ab -c500 -n5000 $url
    > >
    > > kevent: 849.72
    > > epoll: 538.16
    > > threadlet:
    > > gcc ./evserver_epoll_threadlet.c -o ./evserver_epoll_threadlet
    > > In file included from ./evserver_epoll_threadlet.c:30:
    > > ./threadlet.h: In function ‘threadlet_exec’:
    > > ./threadlet.h:46: error: can't find a register in class ‘GENERAL_REGS’
    > > while reloading ‘asm’
    > >
    > > That particular asm optimization fails to compile.
    >
    > it's not really an asm optimization but an API glue. I'm using:
    >
    > gcc -O2 -g -Wall -o evserver_epoll_threadlet evserver_epoll_threadlet.c -fomit-frame-pointer
    >
    > does that work for you?

    Yes, -fomit-frame-point make the deal.

    In average, threadlet runs as fast as epoll.
    Just because there are _no_ rescheduling in that case.

    I added a printk into __async_schedule() and started
    ab -c7000 -n20000 http://192.168.4.80/
    against slow via epia, and got only one of them.
    Client is latest
    ../async-test-v4/evserver_epoll_threadlet

    Btw, I need to admit, that I have totally broken kevent tree there - it
    does not work on that machine on higher loads, so I'm investigating that
    problem now.

    --
    Evgeniy Polyakov