    SubjectRe: PCI riser cards and PCI irq routing, etc
    Date
    On Tuesday 20 February 2007 15:44, you wrote:
    > Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Yes, VIA Epia EN12000.
    > >> Interesting to check the riser card.
    > >
    > > Just be aware that there are two types of PCI riser -- risers that work
    > > in any board, and Via Epia-specific risers. The latter requires a BIOS
    > > update on some Epias and presumably has some advantages, possible the
    > > ones you're looking for.
    >
    > This card is sold by TranquilPC for their T2e case which holds Mini-ITX
    > boards. My EN12000 has the latest BIOS I could find on the VIA site:
    > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?motherboard_id=3
    >99#BIOS

    The riser I have here is called "ext-pci rev b" and is marked "Via Tech Inc".
    My understanding is that this is not an "active riser" and requires explicit
    BIOS support.

    A quick googling for the device revealed this:

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=41622&highlight_key=y&keyword1=riser

    A poster here seems to suggest the following:

    "As far as I know the only dual riser card that is supported by the EPIA BIOS
    is the one from VIA (that faces out). That one has some logic on it to get
    both slots working. The upper slot uses device 19 and INT_A, allocated
    through the EPIA BIOS."

    This may perhaps describe the issue you are having, and from the PDF you
    linked I do not believe you have a riser that is the same as mine.

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    Final year Computer Science undergraduate.