SubjectRe: epoll handling in the alpha port
Date
On Friday 02 February 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It might be to late to fix this - we risk breaking userspace which worked
> around it.

we'd be breaking userspace API, but not ABI ... and the largest consumers out
there (glibc/uclibc) have not been accounting for this, so we wouldnt be
breaking them

that's how we noticed the issue in Gentoo ... all the epoll calls are
automatically declared -ENOSYS stubs in glibc's libc.so

is there some other large consumer i'm not thinking of ?

> It would be safer to add the correct definitions while leaving the old ones
> in place.

in the end, either works for me ... i can see linux's pretty hard 'dont break
userspace' policy coming into play here
-mike

  Last update: 2007-02-02 06:23    [W:0.114 / U:0.216 seconds]