SubjectRe: [ANN] Userspace M-on-N threading model implementation. Alpha release.
Date
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
>> I described in details why and how M:N model better, and its drawbacks
>> include all issues mentioned by Ulrich Drepper, but nevertheless its
>> advantages are far too superiour than those which can be
>> provided by 1:1
>> model.
>
> M:N threading is an unnecessary performance hack that's needed by people
> who are living in a C or C++ exile away from some language that has
> lexical closures, generators or first-class continuations.

Yes, that's called the "real world." Arguments of the "I don't need it,
in a perfect world you wouldn't either, therefore it's a bad idea" type
simply contribute nothing.

Because user threading can avoid context switches, there will always be
cases where it will outperform o/s threads for hardware reasons.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>