    SubjectRe: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers
    David Schwartz wrote:
    > Most certainly the spirit of the GPL is that it's fair use to tinker with a
    > work to get it to work on your hardware. Is it not fair use to share that
    > with other licensees of the original work? Should Microsoft be able to
    > prevent me from distributing patches to Windows that fix bugs or add
    > features?
    Yes they can, since you have (most likely) breached the contract! To fix
    a bug in Windows you will have to de-assemble their code (if you are not
    on their pay-role, of course) and that is explicitly forbidden. You are
    in no way allowed to read how Windows does things.
    Or you may just have made random changes and it happens to work, I still
    don't think they would like it (what other thing may happened by that

    Richard Knutsson

      Last update: 2007-02-16 11:39    [W:0.031 / U:37.676 seconds]