    SubjectRe: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers
    Xavier Bestel wrote:
    > On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 21:48 -0800, v j wrote:
    >> We only get crap because no one here yet knows how to interpret
    >> proprietary modules loaded into the kernel.
    >
    > The proprietary modules where only a tiny wrapper is linux-specific and
    > the rest is cross-platform are in a grey area, yes.
    > But your modules, written specifically for linux but distributed as
    > binary-only, are specifically what the people choosing the GPL want to
    > avoid. They are a derivative work, and are, as such, illegal under the
    > GPL.

    If they are a derivative work, they are illegal under the GPL. However,
    it is not clear that their being written specifically *for* Linux is
    sufficient to make them derivative works *of* Linux.

    Jon Kåre

      Last update: 2007-02-16 11:17    [W:0.027 / U:33.796 seconds]