SubjectRe: [patch 4/4] ipmi: add new IPMI nmi watchdog handling
Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:05:56 +1100 Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org> wrote:
>

>> Andrew Morton writes:
>>

>>> This is all fairly unpleasant.
>>>
>>> What architecture is preventing us from using DIE_NMI_POST on all
>>> architectures which support ipmi? ia64?
>>>
>>> It would be better to simply require that all ipmi-using architectures
>>> implement notify_die(DIE_NMI_POST, ...).
>>>
>> We're starting to see IPMI creeping on powerpc as well, and we don't
>> have an NMI.

PowerPC could have an NMI, at least on many of the processors, if
manufacturers would wire in the MCP line and use it as an NMI.

> Sure, but you could implement the registration function. I mean, you
> _would_ call the NMI callback if you could, right ;)
>
> As it stands, this change is pretty gruesome...

Yes, it's certainly not ideal. Most architectures do not have
asm/kdebug.h, which was the reason for CONFIG_HAVE_STANDARD_NOTIFY_DIE.
I know there are IPMI implementations on x86, ia64, ARM, MIPS, and PowerPC.

So I see the following options besides what's already there:

1) add asm/kdebug.h and DIE_NMI_POST to everything that might have an
IPMI implementation.
2) use CONFIG_X86 to tell if NMI will work, since that's the only thing
it will work on at the present.

I don't have any way to know how different systems have implemented that
feature, so I can't actually implement it for the various architectures
(plus I don't have any of those boards). So maybe #2 is the best?

-Corey

  Last update: 2007-02-15 16:51    [W:0.163 / U:0.200 seconds]