SubjectRe: [patch 4/9] Remove the TSC synchronization on SMP machines
Andi Kleen writes:

> Just to avoid spreading misinformation: modulo some new broken hardware
> (which we always try to work around when found) i386/x86-64 gettimeofday
> is monotonic. AFAIK on the currently known hardware it should be generally
> ok.
>
> However ntpd can always screw you up, but that's inherent in the design.

On powerpc we manage to keep gettimeofday monotonic even when ntpd is
adjusting the clock. We have 3 parameters used to convert a value
from the timebase register to the time of day, and these parameters
are adjusted if necessary at the beginning of each tick, based on the
value returned by current_tick_length(). The point is that
current_tick_length() tells you at the *beginning* of each tick how
much time will be added on to xtime at the *end* of that tick, and
that makes it possible to aim the interpolation to hit the same value
as xtime at the end of each tick.

Clearly if you make a discrete jump backwards with settimeofday or
adjtime, it's impossible to keep gettimeofday monotonic, but apart
from that it's monotonic on powerpc.

At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. I hope the recent
timekeeping changes haven't broken it. :)

Paul.

  Last update: 2007-02-14 01:23    [W:0.097 / U:0.060 seconds]