SubjectRe: [patch 06/11] syslets: core, documentation
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Davide Libenzi <davidel@xmailserver.org> wrote:
>
> > > +The Syslet Atom:
> > > +----------------
> > > +
> > > +The syslet atom is a small, fixed-size (44 bytes on 32-bit) piece of
> > > +user-space memory, which is the basic unit of execution within the syslet
> > > +framework. A syslet represents a single system-call and its arguments.
> > > +In addition it also has condition flags attached to it that allows the
> > > +construction of larger programs (syslets) from these atoms.
> > > +
> > > +Arguments to the system call are implemented via pointers to arguments.
> > > +This not only increases the flexibility of syslet atoms (multiple syslets
> > > +can share the same variable for example), but is also an optimization:
> > > +copy_uatom() will only fetch syscall parameters up until the point it
> > > +meets the first NULL pointer. 50% of all syscalls have 2 or less
> > > +parameters (and 90% of all syscalls have 4 or less parameters).
> >
> > Why do you need to have an extra memory indirection per parameter in
> > copy_uatom()? [...]
>
> yes. Try to use them in real programs, and you'll see that most of the
> time the variable an atom wants to access should also be accessed by
> other atoms. For example a socket file descriptor - one atom opens it,
> another one reads from it, a third one closes it. By having the
> parameters in the atoms we'd have to copy the fd to two other places.

Yes, of course we have to support the indirection, otherwise chaining
won't work. But ...

> > I can understand that chaining syscalls requires variable sharing, but
> > the majority of the parameters passed to syscalls are just direct
> > ones. Maybe a smart method that allows you to know if a parameter is a
> > direct one or a pointer to one? An "unsigned int pmap" where bit N is
> > 1 if param N is an indirection? Hmm?
>
> adding such things tends to slow down atom parsing.

I really think it simplifies it. You simply *copy* the parameter (I'd say
that 70+% of cases falls inside here), and if the current "pmap" bit is
set, then you do all the indirection copy-from-userspace stuff.
It also simplify userspace a lot, since you can now pass arrays and
structure pointers directly, w/out saving them in a temporary variable.

> > Sigh, I really dislike shared userspace/kernel stuff, when we're
> > transfering pointers to userspace. Did you actually bench it against
> > a:
> >
> > int async_wait(struct syslet_uatom **r, int n);
> >
> > I can fully understand sharing userspace buffers with the kernel, if
> > we're talking about KB transferd during a block or net I/O DMA
> > operation, but for transfering a pointer? Behind each pointer
> > transfer(4/8 bytes) there is a whole syscall execution, [...]
>
> there are three main reasons for this choice:
>
> - firstly, by putting completion events into the user-space ringbuffer
> the asynchronous contexts are not held up at all, and the threads are
> available for further syslet use.
>
> - secondly, it was the most obvious and simplest solution to me - it
> just fits well into the syslet model - which is an execution concept
> centered around pure user-space memory and system calls, not some
> kernel resource. Kernel fills in the ringbuffer, user-space clears it.
> If we had to worry about a handshake between user-space and
> kernel-space for the completion information to be passed along, that
> would either mean extra buffering or extra overhead. Extra buffering
> (in the kernel) would be for no good reason: why not buffer it in the
> place where the information is destined for in the first place. The
> ringbuffer of /pointers/ is what makes this really powerful. I never
> really liked the AIO/etc. method /event buffer/ rings. With syslets
> the 'cookie' is the pointer to the syslet atom itself. It doesnt get
> any more straightforward than that i believe.
>
> - making 'is there more stuff for me to work on' a simple instruction in
> user-space makes it a no-brainer for user-space to promptly and
> without thinking complete events. It's also the right thing to do on
> SMP: if one core is solely dedicated to the asynchronous workload,
> only running on kernel mode, and the other code is only running
> user-space, why ever switch between protection domains? [except if any
> of them is idle] The fastest completion signalling method is the
> /memory bus/, not an interrupt. User-space could in theory even use
> MWAIT (in user-space!) to wait for the other core to complete stuff.
> That makes for a hell of a fast wakeup.

That makes also for a hell ugly retrieval API IMO ;)
If it'd be backed up but considerable performance gains, then it might be OK.
But I believe it won't be the case, and that leave us with an ugly API.
OTOH, if noone else object this, it means that I'm the only wierdo :) and
the API is just fine.

- Davide

  Last update: 2007-02-14 00:23    [W:0.751 / U:0.112 seconds]