    SubjectRe: somebody dropped a (warning) bomb
    Date
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:
    > On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Sergei Organov wrote:
    >> >
    >> > "I want a char of indeterminate sign"!
    >>
    >> I'm afraid I don't follow. Do we have a way to say "I want an int of
    >> indeterminate sign" in C? The same way there doesn't seem to be a way
    >> to say "I want a char of indeterminate sign".
    >
    > You're wrong.

    Sure, I knew it from the very beginning ;)

    > Exactly because "char" *by*definition* is "indeterminate sign" as far as
    > something like "strlen()" is concerned.

    Thanks, I now understand that you either don't see the difference
    between "indeterminate" and "implementation-defined" in this context or
    consider it non-essential, so I think I've got your point.

    > "char" is _special_. Char is _different_. Char is *not* "int".

    Sure.

    >> So no, strlen() doesn't actually say that, no matter if we like it or
    >> not. It actually says "I want a char with implementation-defined sign".
    >
    > You're arguing some strange semantic difference in the English
    > language.

    Didn't I further explain what I meant exactly (that you've skipped)?
    OK, never mind.

    > I'm not really interested.

    OK, no problem.

    > THE FACT IS, THAT "strlen()" IS DEFINED UNIVERSALLY AS TAKING "char *".

    So just don't pass it "unsigned char*". End of story.

    > That BY DEFINITION means that "strlen()" cannot care about the sign,
    > because the sign IS NOT DEFINED UNIVERSALLY!
    >
    > And if you cannot accept that fact, it's your problem. Not mine.

    I never had problems either with strlen() or with this warning, so was
    curious why does the warning is such a problem for the kernel. I'm sorry
    I took your time and haven't got an answer that I entirely agree
    with. Thank you very much for your explanations anyway.

    > The warning is CRAP. End of story.

    Amen!

    -- Sergei.

      Last update: 2007-02-13 21:03    [W:3.369 / U:0.032 seconds]