    SubjectRe: SATA-performance: Linux vs. FreeBSD
    Martin A. Fink wrote:
    > I have to store big amounts of data coming from 2 digital cameras to disk.
    > Thus I have to write blocks of around 1 MB at 30 to 50 frames per second for
    > a long period of time. So it is important for me that the harddisk drive is
    > reliable in the sense of "if it is capable of 50 MB/s then it should operate
    > at this speed. Constantly."

    The good old handful of suggestions:

    - Use a dedicated disc for the task.
    - Use an empty disc so there is no fragmentation.
    - Buy a bigger disk, they have high bandwidths.
    - Buy a more "specialized" disc.
    for e.x.: Western Digital Raptor X(*) a 150GB, 10-KRPM S-ATA disc.
    - Buy several discs and use RAID 0
    or alternate between discs when writing.
    - use XFS. AFAIK XFS has about the best "large file" and "high
    bandwidth" characteristics.
    - that with XFS you can preallocate the files doesn't seem relevant in
    this case. It's more for the case that you write several files
    simultaneously over a longer period of time.
    - Write to one large file and separate the individual files later.

    if you are sure that you don't get a power-failure:
    - Disable Write-Barriers, especially on a logging-filesystem.
    - Enable write-caching.
    (hdparm doesn't appear to be able to do that with a SATA-disc, but
    blktool appears to be able to)
    The later has a good chance of corrupting your filesystem when you do
    get a power-failure!!!

    I don't think you want something from the server-line,
    IIRC i read a something about the first 100MB/s disc with in the 15-KRPM

    Bis denn

      Last update: 2007-02-13 00:35    [W:0.023 / U:4.872 seconds]