    Subjectentropy gathering (was Re: Why does reading from /dev/urandom deplete entropy so much?)

    As an aside...

    Speaking as the maintainer rng-tools, which is the home of the hardware
    RNG entropy gathering daemon...

    I wish somebody (not me) would take rngd and several other projects, and
    combine them into a single actively maintained "entropy gathering" package.

    IMO entropy gathering has been a long-standing need for headless network
    servers (and now virtual machines).

    In addition to rngd for hardware RNGs, I've been daemons out there that
    gather from audio and video sources (generally open wires/channels with
    nothing plugged in), thermal sources, etc. There is a lot of entropy
    that could be gathered via userland, if you think creatively.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2007-12-08 20:39    [W:0.053 / U:0.020 seconds]