    SubjectRe: git guidance
    Date
    Andreas Ericsson wrote:
    > So, to get to the bottom of this, which of the following workflows is it
    > you want git to support?
    >
    > ### WORKFLOW A ###
    > edit, edit, edit
    > edit, edit, edit
    > edit, edit, edit
    > Oops I made a mistake and need to hop back to "current - 12".
    > edit, edit, edit
    > edit, edit, edit
    > publish everything, similar to just tarring up your workdir and sending
    > out ### END WORKFLOW A ###
    >
    > ### WORKFLOW B ###
    > edit, edit, edit
    > ok this looks good, I want to save a checkpoint here
    > edit, edit, edit
    > looks good again. next checkpoint
    > edit, edit, edit
    > oh crap, back to checkpoint 2
    > edit, edit, edit
    > ooh, that's better. save a checkpoint and publish those checkpoints
    > ### END WORKFLOW B ###

    ### WORKFLOW C ###
    for every save on a gitfs mounted dir, do an implied checkpoint, commit, or
    publish (should be adjustable), on its privately created on-the-fly
    repository.
    ### END WORKFLOW C ###

    For example:

    echo "// last comment on this file" >> /gitfs.mounted/file

    should do an implied checkpoint, and make these checkpoints immediately
    visible under some checkpoint branch of the gitfs mounted dir.

    Note, this way the developer gets version control without even noticing, and
    works completely transparent to any kind of application.

    Thanks!

    --
    Al

      Last update: 2007-12-07 11:57    [W:0.023 / U:29.600 seconds]