SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 can't see sd partitions on Alpha
Kay Sievers wrote:
> Yeah, that looks all fine.
>
> What distro is that, and what's the udev version?

Mine is Debian Etch, normally with the latest released or -rcX kernel
from kernel.org. Updates current as of about 18 hours ago. Udev
package version is 0.105-4. The RELEASE-NOTES file in /usr/share/doc/udev
says "udev 105".

> You are booting your kernel with an initramfs?

Not in my case: everything I need at boot time is built-in.

> Is the udev daemon (still) running while it fails?
>
> If you run /sbin/udevtrigger, do the nodes appear?

I can answer the above later when I'm back in front of the machine, but
even in the "not good" case, I still see the following messages from
the /etc/rcS.d/S03udev file:

Starting the hotplug events dispatcher udevd.
Synthesizing the initial hotplug events.

This is where udevtrigger gets called, followed by the load_input_modules
and create_dev_makedev functions, then...

Waiting for /dev to be fully populated.

which is where udevsettle gets called.

None of the above appear to be exiting abnormally for the bad case, but
I'll definitely take a closer look at what MAKEDEV (/dev/MAKEDEV -->
/sbin/MAKEDEV) is doing. In particular, Debian MAKEDEV is looking at
/proc/devices to decide what to do, so maybe "cat /proc/devices" would
be useful to look at for the broken case.

Bob Tracy | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
rct@frus.com | - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,
| Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, U.S. Civil War

  Last update: 2007-12-07 23:43    [W:0.200 / U:0.128 seconds]