    SubjectRe: git guidance
    Johannes Schindelin wrote:
    > Hi,

    > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Al Boldi wrote:
    > > You need to re-read the thread.
    > I don't know why you write that, and then say thanks. Clearly, what you
    > wrote originally, and what Andreas pointed out, were quite obvious
    > indicators that git already does what you suggest.
    > You _do_ work "transparently" (whatever you understand by that overused
    > term) in the working directory, unimpeded by git.

    If you go back in the thread, you may find a link to a gitfs client that
    somebody kindly posted. This client pretty much defines the transparency
    I'm talking about. The only problem is that it's read-only.

    To make it really useful, it has to support versioning locally, disconnected
    from the server repository. One way to implement this, could be by
    committing every update unconditionally to an on-the-fly created git
    repository private to the gitfs client.

    With this transparently created private scratch repository it should then be
    possible for the same gitfs to re-expose the locally created commits, all
    without any direct user-intervention.

    Later, this same scratch repository could then be managed by the normal
    git-management tools/commands to ultimately update the backend git

    BTW: Sorry for my previous posts that contained the wrong date; it seems
    that hibernation sometimes advances the date by a full 24h. Has anybody
    noticed this as well?

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-07 05:45    [W:0.021 / U:10.820 seconds]