SubjectRe: Kernel Development & Objective-C
Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Tue, 4 Dec 2007 22:47:45 +0100, "J.A. Magallón" <jamagallon@ono.com> escribió:
>
>> That is what I like of C++, with good placement of high level features
>> like const's and & (references) one can gain fine control over what
>> gets copied or not.
>
> But...if there's some way Linux can get "language improvements", is with
> new C standards/gccextensions/etc. It'd be nice if people tried to add
> (useful) C extensions to gcc, instead of proposing some random language :)

But nobody know such extensions.
I think that the core kernel will remain in C, because
there are no problems and no improvement possible
(with other language)

But the drivers side has more problems. There is a lot
of copy-paste, quality is often not high, not all developers
know well linux kernel, and not well maintained with new
or better internal API. So if we found a good template
or a good language to help *some* drivers without
causing a lot of problem to the rest of community, it would
be nice.

I don't think that we have written in stone that kernel
drivers should be written only in C, but actually there is
no good alternative.

But I think it is a huge task to find a language, a
prototype of API and convert some testing drivers.
And there is no guarantee of good result.

ciao
cate