    SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in

    On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 13:37 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > The code doesn't actually do what CRS is supposed to help with (ie go
    > on
    > to probe another device and then come back to the slow one later), so
    > right now it's pretty much useless *anyway*.

    It's not totally useless... Instead of not seeing the device that hasn't
    fully initialized yet at all, we end up waiting a bit and then seeing
    it. Going to probe somebody else is a nice optimization we could do with
    multithread PCI probe but doesn't remove the need for CRS.

    I have embedded boards where proper CRS operations is critical since the
    kernel brings the PCIe link up itself, and thus is likely to hit devices
    still in the middle of CRS.

    Note that I'm -very- surprised however that your BIOS hands control out
    of the kernel with devices still issuing CRS... Unless those devices may
    do it after boot but that's dodgy and will break many other things.

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-28 06:43    [W:0.020 / U:37.712 seconds]