SubjectRe: Working upstream toolchain for avr32?
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:41:58AM +0100, Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:56:17 +0100
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > AFAIK the latest available AVR32 toolchains are some patched gcc 4.0 and
> > some patched binutils 2.17, and avr32 is currently the only architecture
> > in the kernel where upstream of both of them is not capable of building
> > a kernel for the architecture.
>
> gcc 4.2 is available from www.atmel.com. But I agree that it's
> unfortunate that avr32 support isn't available upstream.
>
> > ALthough not technically a requirement, it would be nice if all Linux
> > kernel archs could be compiled with plain upstream toolchains.
>
> We're working on it. I believe the legal issues around copyright
> assignment, etc. are mostly sorted out now, so I'm hoping we'll start
> pushing things upstream early next year.

First of all sorry for my late answer.

What you are saying is more or less what I was hoping to hear. :)

> > Even more since at some point in the future [1] current toolchains might
> > no longer be able to compile the then current kernels.
>
> I'm not sure if I understood that, but I guess it's always good to have
> older versions of the toolchain around.

My point was that if there was _only_ support in some older toolchain,
a few years from now there might no longer be a toolchain capable of
compiling the then-current kernel.

> Haavard

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2007-12-28 09:55    [W:0.117 / U:0.820 seconds]