    SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in
    Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > This patch also adds a sysfs property for each device into which root can
    > write a '1' to enable extended configuration space. The kernel will print
    > a notice into dmesg when this happens (including the name of the app) so that
    > if the system crashes as a result of this action, the user can know what
    > action/tool caused it.

    1) [minor] With a bit in struct pci_dev, there is no need for separate
    raw_pci_ops. That will simplify your patch, with no functionality change.

    "golden" arches (no pun intended) may implement raw_pci_ops that
    _always_ work with extended config space, and simply ignore that bit, if
    that is how their underlying non-mmconfig-nor-type1 hardware is implemented.

    2) [non-minor] hmmmm.

    [jgarzik@core ~]$ lspci -n | wc -l

    So I would have to perform 23 sysfs twiddles, before I could obtain a
    full and unabridged 'lspci -vvvxxx'?

    For the userspace interface, the most-often-used knob for diagnostic
    purposes will be the easiest one. And that's

    echo 1 > enable-ext-cfg-space-for-all-buses-ACPI-says-to
    lspci -vvvxxx

    3) [minor] architectures must be able to override
    pci_enable_ext_config(). see "golden arches".

     \ /
      Last update: 2007-12-27 12:55    [W:0.035 / U:68.876 seconds]