SubjectRe: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driver opt-in issue
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Well, the *current* behaviour as far as setup is concerned is
> unacceptable. But yes, longer term, we should be able to just have quirk
> entries for saying "enable mmconfig because I know it's safe", except we
> should not enable them until after the core PCI probing has completed.

IMO that should be an arch decision, buried somewhere in arch/x86.

If other arches implement extended config space sanely -- and possibly
via some arch-specific means that is /not/ mmconfig -- then they should
be able to make an arch decision that extended PCI config space accesses
Just Work(tm).

For such arches, pci_enable_ext_cfg_space(pdev) would be a no-op, always
returning success.

Jeff

  Last update: 2007-12-27 12:49    [W:0.067 / U:0.740 seconds]