SubjectRe: [patch] Make MMCONFIG space (extended PCI config space) a driver opt-in issue
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>> And yes, if you want the capability following to notice automatically when
>>> capabilities really do go into the 0x100+ range, that's fine. I suspect
>> Yes, we /must/ do this checking, if we don't already.
>
> Hell no. If the user asked for mmconfig to be disabled, it needs to be
> disabled, because it may well be broken and non-working. It's better to
> not see some capabilities than to lock up the machine.

I think my short response created confusion. I was only saying that we
should check for capability overruns, if we don't already[1].

I wasn't saying anything about mmconfig in that sentence, sorry.

Let's pop this sub-thread off the stack, and jump to your "Sounds like a
plan?" train of thought.

Jeff

[1] Lioc's response seems to imply my worry about overruns is unfounded.

  Last update: 2007-12-23 06:25    [W:0.126 / U:0.692 seconds]